About Star College Scheme
Department of Biotechnology (DBT) under Ministry of Science & Technology of the Government of India started Star College Scheme in 2008 to support colleges and universities offering undergraduate education to improve science teaching across the country. DBT identifies colleges with ambition and provide physical infrastructure for achieving excellence in teaching and unique exposure of students to experimental science. DAV Bathinda is the Only college of Bathinda-Faridkot region decorated with Star College Scheme Grant.
DBT supports potential for excellence in teaching and unique exposure of facilities for improvement in the skills of teachers through FDPs,and practical training to the students by providing specialised access to infrastructure and consumables. The support provided under the scheme strengthens physical infrastructure in laboratories, library, teaching aids and promotes networking with neighbouring institutes. Hands on training, product oriented projects and projects of day to day relevance enhance the interest in students to pursue higher education in science.
DAV College Bathinda was selected under the strengthening component of the DBT Star College Scheme in March, 2020 with sanction order no. BT/HRD/11/019/2020.
Grant sanctioned for the period of three years (2020-23):
Non Recurring Grant : Rs. 20 lacs
Recurring grant :Rs. 24 lacs
Total :Rs. 44 lacs
Two science departments are covered under this grant
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
Objectives of the Star College Scheme:
- To strengthen the academic and physical infrastructure for achieving excellence in teaching and training.
- To enhance the quality of the learning and teaching process to stimulate original thinking through ‘hands–on’ exposure to experimental work and participation in summer schools.
- To promote networking and strengthen ties with neighbouring institutions and laboratories.
- To conduct specialized training programmes for faculty improvement for optimizing technical capabilities.
- To increase capabilities of core instrumentation resources by procuring new equipments and upgrading existing facilities.
- To provide access and exposure of students to research laboratories and industries in the country.
- To help in devising standard curricula and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) / kits for practicals.
- To provide better library facility to students and teachers.
Annual Progress Report for FY 2021-2022
Poster 2020-21 presented before 13th task force committee